Updated: Dec 14, 2020
Your Wedding Invitation is an important part of the wedding planning process, and is something you will want to prepare once you have set your wedding date and secured the location. If you are planning to have out of town guests at your wedding, or are planning a destination wedding, it is also best to send a save the date card 4 to 6 months prior to your wedding date. This will allow your guests plenty of make their travel arrangements, and will ensure more of your family and friends are in attendance. Your save the date card does not need more detail than the date, location (even a city and state will do), your wedding planning website (if applicable) and a note that a formal invitation will follow. Your formal wedding invitation should be sent about 8 weeks prior to your wedding, and you should request RSVP replies 3 weeks prior to your wedding date.
A formal wedding invitation should include the following elements:
- Wedding Response Cards: This will tell you who will and will not attend your wedding reception. The do not forget to include a stamped return address envelope with the response card. Note that the response card should be that of the person hosting the wedding.
- Directions and Maps: This is an important element, especially if you have out of town guests attending. Note that these should be printed individually and not photocopied. Most reception halls will have this information available to download off their website just be sure to double check the details for accuracy before you start printing copies.
- Accommodation Cards: Like the directions and maps, this is another important element if you are planning on inviting many out of town guests. You should include nearby airports, hotel options, area attractions and rental car agencies. If you have booked a block of rooms in a nearby hotel or you have reserved rental cars in their names, you would provide this information as well.
Optional elements for your wedding invitation include:
- Reception Cards: Reception cards should be used if you are planning on having different guest lists for your wedding ceremony and wedding reception. The reception card is used to include details about the wedding reception such as the time and venue.
- Website Links: Some couples have a wedding website to post details about their wedding. If you would like to include a website, a simple card with the web address can be included in the invitation.
Keep in mind that any extra inserts included in your invitation should be printed on a high quality paper that is the same thickness and color as your actual invitation if you do not have coordinating stationary in the same pattern.